A man who killed one person in a knife attack at a supermarket in Germany was known to security forces.
The man, who has not been named, attacked people with a kitchen knife at a store in Hamburg on Friday.
A 50-year-old man was killed and several others were injured as the perpetrator attempted to flee.
Andy Grote, Hamburg’s state interior minister, said the suspect was “known as an Islamist but not a jihadist”.
The man was also known to have suffered from psychological problems and was awaiting deportation.
Mr Grote said there were “indications of radicalisation” but that it was unclear what the overriding motivation for the attack had been.
Born in the United Arab Emirates, the man had attempted to claim asylum in Germany but had been rejected.
His deportation had been delayed by a lack of identification papers.
Hamburg police chief Ralf Martin Meyer said initial findings indicated the man acted alone, but the involvement of other individuals could not be ruled out.